The phenomenon that is Beach Science from just £15 per student
Only a few Dates left available in 2012 get in contact now filling in the contact form here
Take a group of students (from primary up to ‘A2’ level) to the beach and have an amazing day
Some of the activities we do that you can choose from;
- Competition to protect your sandcastle from the sea when the tide comes in – Why does the tide come in? how often does it come in? what is erosion? how might global warming affect us? what make the best sea defences? film your ideas on an iPad and make a movie showing your learning journey. (Beach lifeguards provided and full risk assessments given)
- Beach safety – 80% of children rescued from the sea have been swept out by rip currents, but somehow it has never been seen to be important enough to teach it. So what is a rip current?, how can you spot one? what should you do if you were caught in one? Can you make your own model rip? What other hazards are there on the beach and what is the science behind them?
- Build a geodesic dome out of bamboo (ideal for bad weather) – why is bamboo ideal for this? why are triangles a ‘good’ shape for building? Cover it with a tarpaulin and have the lesson inside it
- Monkey and the hunter – You are given a monkey a crossbow and an iPad/iPod – Produce a short film to explain the principle to someone who doesnt believe you.
- Blowpipe missile challenge – make the most accurate, longest range rocket. How does it work? what are the variables? how high did it go?
- Wildsling – Flying fruit and veg challenge – has to be seen to be believed,, but the science is awesome and predictions push their science understanding to the limits
- Slacklining – Centre of mass, stability and resonance are just a few of the activities we can explore using this brilliant new activity
- Surfing – Unforgettable and brilliant learning , looking at waves and their properties, stability, impulse. Why do you have to paddle to catch a wave? why do they come in sets?
Available booking from May to July 2012 and September to October half term.
Activities available depend on your location. Boscombe Beach is ideal but we can deliver in most places
Science of Surfing costs from £30 for a 3 hour session with 2 hours surfing.
Please book early as dates are limited, go quickly and your students will never forgive you if you miss out!